At SpaceCraft, we not only want to help you create a beautiful online presence, but also want to give you tools and tips to help you grow your business. Read on to learn more about CTA best practices, and how you can create click-worthy CTAs on your SpaceCraft website.
What Are CTAs?
Marketers strategically place CTAs on a website's landing pages with the specific purpose of inspiring consumer action. These CTAs may be in the form of a button, phone number, live chat box, or pop up box.
CTA Best Practices
While there's not a magic formula for creating successful CTAs, there are some best practices you can follow. Here's a look at the top CTA best practices for marketing your website.
- Colors - Your call to action must attract attention, and the proper use of color can help to accomplish this. You want to select contrasting colors while still ensuring the CTA looks great on your page. In addition, some colors can inspire certain emotions. For example, the best performing colors are green, which inspires growth, and orange, which is associated with confidence.
- Size and Shapes - The size and shape of your CTA button can be a tricky matter. You want the button to be large enough for the user to spot easily, but not so overpowering that it appears sales-y or takes away from the meat of your content. Play around with different shapes, sizes, and graphics until you find one that works well on your page.
- Language - CTAs should be short and to the point. Marketing experts recommend just two to five words so it’s important to make every word count. Always start with an action word like "try," "download," or "open." Studies also suggest that using first-person language can increase your click-through rate (CTR) by as much as 90 percent. For example, instead of saying "Download Your Free E-Book," say "Download My Free E-Book."
- Placement - The placement of your CTAs must be purposeful and strategic. When creating a long landing page, one CTA always should go before the fold. Don't be afraid to place multiple CTAs on longer pages. In fact, the user should never have to backtrack up the page to find the CTA.
- Mobilization - 64 percent of Americans now have smartphones, so it’s imperative to optimize your CTAs for mobile phones as more and more browsing is occurring on mobile devices. Specifically, it's important to make sure any pop-ups on your website are user-friendly. Google just announced that it will start punishing sites with intrusive pop-ups that make content less accessible on mobile devices, so make sure your pop-ups don't take up the entire screen so users can opt out easily.
- Value Proposition/Urgency - Consumers are always looking for great deals. Using value proposition language like "free," "50 percent off" and "discount" can help the consumer see the value in what you are offering. You also want to encourage the user to act quickly. Words like "now," "today" or "for a limited time" can help create a sense of urgency.
- A/B Testing - It’s crucial to test the effectiveness of your CTAs on a regular basis. A/B testing, with the help of Google Analytics, allows you to test variations of your CTAs to see which one performs better. This type of testing can help you perfect your call to action and improve your CTR rate.
Our user-friendly website building platform makes creating effective CTAs quick and easy. The combination of dozens of templates, hundreds of fonts, stunning photo galleries, easy editing features and enhanced mobile settings give you the power to customize your CTA buttons to meet your company's unique needs. Start your free 14-day trial now, and see how simple it can be to create your online presence.